Dr Marcia Devlin, AM
Marcia Devlin, AM, PhD, GAICD, is a senior executive, psychologist, teacher, professor, academic and author and a globally recognised expert in education, equity and leadership. In 2023, she was awarded an Australian Honour by the Governor General, becoming a Member of the Order of Australia (AM).
An award-winning leader, and experienced senior executive, company director, board chair and member, international consultant, coach, researcher, educator, columnist, writer and speaker, Marcia contributes to the field of education across a range of roles.
She has worked for over 30 years nationally and internationally to improve the quality of learning and teaching across primary, secondary and tertiary education, to enhance inclusiveness and diversity in and around education and to strengthen leadership and governance in education and related areas, including by having more women in leadership.
Nationally and internationally renowned for her work, Marcia is an active board member. Current board memberships include:
- Serving as a Trust Member of the Queen Victoria Women’s Centre;
- serving the International Editorial Board of Teaching and Learning Inquiry and the US -based journal of International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISSOTL);
- serving on the Editorial Board of the journal Student Success; and
- being an appointed Accreditation Specialist with the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications.
Recent board memberships include:
- serving as a non-executive director on the board of Melbourne Polytechnic, a member of their Audit and Risk Committee and as Chair of their Education Quality Committee;
- being a Ministerial appointee on the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA);
- serving on the VCAA Executive Committee, Audit Committee and as Chair of the Senior Secondary Certification Reform Committee;
- serving on the Editorial Board of the journal The Australian Journal of Indigenous Education
- serving on the Board of VU Online;
- serving on the Education and Training Advisory Board of Open Colleges;
- being on the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) Register of Experts.
An internationally recognised expert on higher education and equity, Marcia is currently an elected a Lifetime Fellow of the UK-based Society for Research into Higher Education.
Marcia has also previously:
- served as the Universities Australia appointee on the Advisory Board of the National Centre for Student Equity in Higher Education;
- served as a Non-Executive Director of the Australian Overseas Foundation;
- been a Fellow of the Institute for Managers and Leaders Australia and New Zealand.
- been a member of the Academic Boards of William Angliss Institute, Deakin University, Federation University Australia and Victoria University; and
- been an international appointee of the inaugural International Panel of National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Ireland.
Marcia has been awarded the title of Leader/Manager of the Year in Victoria by the Australian Institute of Management (now the Institute for Managers and Leaders, Australia and New Zealand) and was also the national winner of the Women’s Agenda Leadership Excellence Awards in the Government/Public Sector category. She has been honoured as a state finalist in the Telstra Business Women’s Awards.
Marcia has given more than 200 public talks, including over 100 keynote/headline speeches across ten countries, including at Stanford University on digital education. She has won over $AUD 6 million in external competitive research, project and other funds, including several Commonwealth-funded research project as Chief Investigator and has over 330 publications. Well known for her writing and media work across newspapers, TV, radio, podcasts and digital outlets and frequently cited, she has a Google Scholar h-index of 37.
In 2021, Marcia released her first sole-authored book in 2021, Beating the Odds: A practical guide to navigating sexism in Australian universities (see the ‘SHOP’ tab above for further information).
A Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, with: a PhD (University of Melbourne); a Masters in Education (Macquarie University); a Graduate Diploma in Applied Psychology (Swinburne University of Technology); a Diploma in Education (La Trobe University); and a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology (Australian National University); and having completed an executive education course at Stanford University Graduate School of Business, Marcia is eminently qualified.
Marcia has worked in senior executive and/or senior leadership roles at Victoria University, RMIT University, Federation University Australia, Open Universities Australia, The University of Melbourne and Deakin University, and has been appointed to numerous honorary and professorial roles in Australia and overseas. She currently serves as inaugural CEO of the Victorian Academy of Teaching and Leadership.
You can view Marcia’s Linked In profile here.
You can find her on ResearchGate here.
You can follow her on Twitter: @marciadevlin
You can follow her on Mastodon: @firstname.lastname@example.org
You can contact her by using the ‘Contact’ tab above.